Get Started With Mail Chimp
Mailchimp is an all-in-one marketing platform that helps you manage and talk to your clients, customers, and other interested parties. Our approach to marketing focuses on healthy contact management practices, beautifully designed campaigns, and powerful data analysis. We’re here to help you become an expert marketer. Ready to get started?
In this article, you’ll learn how to start using Mailchimp to create awesome campaigns, and we’ll provide some helpful resources to use as you work.
Things to Know
Before you jump into the tasks ahead, here are a few helpful things to know.
- We offer a number of online resources to provide help and insights about our tools and features. Check out our searchable Knowledge Base if you want to learn how something works, or if you run into any trouble.
Here’s an overview of the tasks we’ll cover in this article.
Set Up Your Account
When you sign up for a Mailchimp account, you’ll enter your name and email address, and we’ll send you an activation email. When you receive the activation email, click the link to activate your account.
The next time you log in to our website, we’ll walk you through the rest of the setup steps. You’ll input profile details, such as your website and physical address, and connect your social media accounts. If you sell products online, you’ll have the option to connect your store to Mailchimp.
To learn more about account creation, read the article Create an Account.
Set Up Your Audience
Mailchimp was designed so you should only need one audience. We have a number of helpful audience management tools so you can organize and separate contacts. If you do decide to create another audience, keep in mind that data isn’t shared across audiences, and contacts who are in more than one audience will count separately toward your subscriber limit.
Customize Your Signup Form
To access customize your signup form, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Audience tab.
- If you have more than one audience, click the Current audience drop-down and choose the one you want to work with.
- Click the Manage Audience drop-down and choose Signup forms.
- Select Form builder.
- Click the Forms and response emails drop-down menu, and choose which form you want to edit.
- Click the Design it tab.
- Click through the Page, Body, Forms, or MonkeyRewards tabs to review the customization options. Use the fields and drop-down menus to make any changes you want to the styles, colors, and fields. We’ll save your changes automatically.
- When you’re done, click Save & Close.
For in-depth instructions, read the article How the Form Builder Works.
Create a Campaign
Next, you’ll craft your first campaign. A campaign is a message that you share through email, ads, or other channels. In Mailchimp, most users start with a regular email campaign.
To create a regular email campaign, follow these steps.
- Launch the Campaign Builder.
- Enter a campaign name and click Begin.
- On the Recipients step of the Campaign Builder, choose an audience from the drop-down menu and click Next.
- On the Setup step, input your Email subject, Preview Text, From name, and From email address. Select tracking tools, connect social media, and configure advanced settings from the available options.
- When you’re finished, click Next.
- On the Template step, choose one of our template types.
- In the Design step, you’ll input and customize your campaign content.
- When you’re done designing your campaign, click Next to navigate to the Confirm page.
On the Confirm page, we’ll make sure that all of the steps have been completed and alert you to anything that might need your attention before sending. Schedule your campaign to send at a later date or time, or send it right away.
Designing a campaign in Mailchimp can be fun, but also complex, because we offer a lot of customization options. Take some time to get used to the controls and always plan your campaigns before you start designing them. You’ll be an expert email, ad, landing page, and postcard campaign designer before you know it.
View Your Campaign Reports
You’ve clicked Send, but it’s not over yet! A key component of successful marketing is tracking audience engagement, so you can provide more of what your contacts want and less of what they don’t.
The next time you login to Mailchimp after sending an email campaign, you’ll see how many contacts opened, clicked, or unsubscribed from your recent campaigns, right on your Dashboard. Click Reports for more detailed information, and to download, share, or print your campaign reports.
Mailchimp’s open- and click-tracking data tells you how many people looked at your campaign, which links they clicked, and other information, like their geolocation. Integrate your Google Analytics account with Mailchimp for more in-depth reporting.
After you’ve become familiar with the basics, look into how our different features can take marketing to the next level.
Automated campaigns, also known as drip campaigns or autoresponders, send targeted emails or other messages when triggered by a specific event, date, or subscriber activity. Mailchimp’s automation tools can help busy marketers send consistent communication to nurture contact engagement. About Automation
You can buy ads through Mailchimp, with no additional fees from us. Take advantage of Google or Facebook’s huge audience to reach your best customers, similar people, and people who like your products but don’t subscribe to your email. Getting Started with Facebook and Instagram Ad Campaigns Create Google Remarketing Ads
Create beautiful landing pages to grow your audience or promote products, then share those pages around the web to drive traffic to them. Landing pages are great for achieving specific, short-term marketing goals. About Landing Pages
A printed postcard campaign helps you stand out from the crowd, and gives people something tangible to remember you by. Postcards reinforce the messages you’ve sent through emails, ads, and elsewhere, which makes them a smart addition to your multichannel marketing strategy. About Postcards
Mailchimp for iOS or Android Mailchimp for iOS or Android is a free mobile app that helps you manage your account on the go. Track subscriber and campaign activity, view campaign reports, and add new subscribers directly from your mobile device. About Mailchimp for iOS About Mailchimp for Android
Mailchimp Subscribe Mailchimp Subscribe is a mobile application that creates simple signup forms on your tablet, so people can join your audience from anywhere. This app is great for people who want to collect signups in their stores or at events. Set Up Mailchimp Subscribe for iPad Set Up Mailchimp Subscribe for Android